web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Not A Joke

Our union contract guarantees us a certain number of paid days off per year. All we have to do is give 14 days notice and we have the day off, no questions asked. Because those who know best have not gotten around to replacing the nurses we have lost in the last year, we are working seriously short-staffed. As a result, all time off requests are being denied, in violation of our contract.

One of the nurses complained to a manager about this and the manager had an original solution to the problem that never would have occurred to me. She said to request days off for the days that we have off. For not being a joke, we sure got a good laugh. I guess that's why she makes the big bucks.


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 2/21/2006 08:49:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Is it really worth 15 more years there? You really don't need the money. You could work part time at a place that appreciates you, doesn't trash your body, and treat you like a disposable resource.

 
At 2/21/2006 04:44:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I don't need the money now, but given how long my ancesters lived, I'll need the money someday. I want to hoard as much money as I can to provide for my old age.

 
At 2/21/2006 10:51:00 PM, Blogger Tati said...

But you're vacation time for Ireland has been approved, right?

 
At 2/21/2006 11:12:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Not yet, but I'm going even if I have to find a new job when I get back. (If it's not approved, I will find the meanest, nastiest lawyer to go after them.)

 
At 2/22/2006 02:10:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Did i hear my named mentioned???? LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, only a quantas flight away!!!

 
At 2/22/2006 09:33:00 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

No Michelle, I think she was talking about her divorce lawyer:)

 
At 2/22/2006 12:40:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, I was thinking of myself, but if you want to join in the fun, you're welcome.

Sarah, my divorce lawyer wasn't mean and nasty, just very good (and expensive). Why is it that divorces cost several times what a decent wedding costs, but aren't nearly as much fun?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home