web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Sunday, March 18, 2007

The Cottages

While looking for a post that mysteriously disappeared, I found almost thirty drafts that I forgot to publish. This post was written last May.

While in Ireland, we stayed in a 190 year old cottage that had been been restored. This is it below.



Also on the property were some cottages from the 16oo's. They were in ruins when the owners of the property found them. The owners had bought a large chunk of land and didn't know that they were there. What a surprise that must have been. They were restored and also can be rented.


They are hiding, but the slope was covered in wild violets. How charming.

This is the fireplace where we burned peat for fuel. Supposedly, it was smokeless peat, but I don't think there is any such thing. It was so smoky that we never had another fire after the first night.

Our cottage was cute, but had been improved with a modern kitchen and bathroom. The original dirt floor had been replaced with concrete and floor heating. I can't imagine trying to cook in the fireplace and going out in the freezing cold to the outhouse. It's a wonder our ancestors survived.


~ Home

2 Comments:

At 3/18/2007 10:40:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my! That is just beautiful. Absolutely breathtaking. Impressive to say the least.

 
At 3/20/2007 08:21:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

I had forgotten how pretty everything was there. I wish that I could go back.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home