web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, February 29, 2008

Badge Day

I bathed for nothing today. On my day off, I like to take a break from trying to look good. I don't bathe. I wear old, comfy clothes and don't comb my hair. Today, even though it was my day off, I showered, washed and blow-dried my hair. I carefully put on full make up and even ironed my top. I did this because our replacement hospital passed it's final inspection this week. Almost a year late, we are moving.

What does moving into a new hospital have to do with making myself look presentable? We have to get new badges and that meant a new photo. If I have to wear a photograph of myself around my neck, I want it to be a good one. Today was new badge day.

I ran into a coworker at the security office. Like me, she had done her hair and make up in preparation for her close up. Even if we don't look that good everyday, we want people to know what we can look like.

When it was my turn, they asked me if I wanted to keep the same photo. I didn't know that was an option. My current photo is great. Of course I said yes. My photo was downloaded onto my new badge and I was done. I got all gussied up for nothing.

Moving day is March 25. They're making us spend time in the new hospital to get used to it and find our way around. It is very different from our current hospital. The new hospital is big and modern with very long hallways. The artwork is gorgeous and would look nice in my home if I could find a way to steal buy it.

Our old hospital is cramped, old and embarrassing to be seen in, but the circular design is efficient and easier for the nurses. The patients will prefer the new hospital with the big private rooms, but the nurses may not be so happy with all of the walking. I hope that my hips hold out. I'm not getting any younger.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 3/01/2008 06:48:00 AM, Blogger may said...

sounds exciting. and i totally get you about looking good in the badge photo:)

 
At 3/04/2008 03:26:00 PM, Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

See, you haven't changed in a year, yes? Still looking great.

Congrats on finally getting to move into the new hospital.

 
At 3/06/2008 12:53:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

May, these things are important. :)

Zippiknits, I'm not sure that congratulations are in order. I'm a little scared.

 
At 3/06/2008 01:33:00 AM, Blogger gemmak said...

I love to have a 'slob' day now and again.....they are good for the soul! ;o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home