web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

An Excuse To Buy Dresses

The last time I wore a formal gown, I duct-taped falsies to my chest. That resulted in a terrible rash. At Bulldog's suggestion, of all people, I bought some self-sticking silicone falsies. They were purchased on EBay for a bargain and they finally arrived.

I decided to do a trial run, so I wore them to work. It felt like I had two jelly fish stuck to my chest, but they worked. They stayed on and didn't give me a rash. They were a little uncomfortable; I wouldn't wear them everyday, but for a special night, I could deal with it.

Best of all, two occasions to wear a formal gown are coming up. In June, I'm taking a cruise to Alaska and there will be two formal nights. Isn't it odd that I'm more excited about the opportunity to dress up than I am about going to Alaska?

I've been to Alaska before. I drove there in what was one of the most miserable vacations of my life. My marriage was strained and we were trapped together in a VW van 24/7 for a month. It wasn't Alaska's fault that I was so unhappy, but the thought of Alaska makes me wince.

Lindsay says that I will make new, much happier memories with him. I believe that is true. In the meantime though, I'm occupying my time buying my formal dresses. Next, I'm working on shoes.


~ Home

9 Comments:

At 3/13/2008 12:35:00 PM, Blogger Mahala said...

How exciting! I don't remember the last time I had an excuse to go dress shopping.

 
At 3/13/2008 07:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

To clear up why I, of all people, would know that . . . Remember Jennifer Lopez wearing THAT green dress?

It was all in the tape.

 
At 3/14/2008 05:40:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

wow... I have never done anything formal like that... how fun. I do like getting dressed up when I conduct a funeral however.
Lindsey is right... he sounds like a good man.

 
At 3/14/2008 11:11:00 AM, Blogger Alan said...

I think a month in a VW van would be bad regardless of location. One of the guys at work has taken the Alaskan cruises a couple of time and loves them. You'll have a good time. I myself have no interest in cruises whatsoever. Probably due to four years on aircraft carriers. Are you planning any fishing or moose hunting?

 
At 3/14/2008 07:52:00 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

LOL... my dad knows about falsies. Good God.

Lindsay sounds sweet. You're keeping him, I take it.

I'm glad you get to go shopping for princess dresses. I love to go into shops and try them on for the heck of it sometimes.

Let us see what you get! :)

 
At 3/14/2008 07:52:00 PM, Blogger may said...

how exciting! it's good you can actually wear them. i bought a dress for our cruise, but our kids didn't wanna stay with the cruise babysitters, so we sucked it up and stayed in the room.

have fun shopping, and don't feel weird about getting excited with the dress shopping, it's totally a girl thing.

 
At 3/15/2008 12:05:00 PM, Blogger Melissa said...

Mahala, it is a challenge to find an excuse to dress up. Everything is so casual these days.

Bulldog, okay, that explains it. :)

Madwag, he is a good man.

Alan, my boating experience has pretty much been limited to ferries, which are not my idea of fun.

We will not be killing anything in Alaska (I get enough of that at work) :). We will ride bikes, hike and take tours.

Lisa, this time I'm going for more sophisticated dresses. The red ballgown got the fairy princess thing out of my system. I will post photos eventually.

May, the cruise people wouldn't let you dress up the kids and have them join you for formal night? That's not nice. That's how kids learn how to be grown ups.

 
At 3/15/2008 04:02:00 PM, Blogger Jack said...

Hey! I know about tape - not falsies.

 
At 3/18/2008 08:26:00 AM, Blogger may said...

they do; but my husband and i planned it to be the ONLY hour we can be alone. so i guess it was our fault that the kids were never used to being left with the cruise babysitters before the formal. night :(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home