web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, March 03, 2008

A Wet Leg

Always make sure that the patient's bed is locked before trying to get the patient into bed. The beds have wheels and will take off if anyone leans against the bed. I learned this lesson the hard way.

A coworker asked me to help her get a patient back into the bed. The patient was sitting on a bedside commode facing the bed. She was a big lady and needed help standing up. We got on each side of her, grabbed her under the arms and on the count of three, hoisted her up. We had planned to pivot her, so that she could sit down on the bed, but her knees buckled. She was going down. In one last desperate attempt to keep her from falling on the floor, I pushed her onto the bed, head first. That's when the bed took off.

From the waist up, she was lying on the bed. I grabbed a leg to try and push the rest of her in bed, but ended up pushing her and the bed across the floor like a wheelbarrow. My coworker finally got on the other side of the bed and locked it. With the bed locked and each of us holding a leg, we were able to get her in bed.

The worst part was afterwards when I noticed that my leg was wet. She had peed on my leg. She also peed on my coworker's leg. O.R. was closed, so we were unable to borrow replacement scrubs. At least pee dries quickly.


~ Home

4 Comments:

At 3/03/2008 05:02:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

Sounds like a Lucy and Ethyl episode.

 
At 3/05/2008 10:52:00 PM, Blogger cotn.co.uk said...

now that would really bother me... I wouldn't be able to get it out of my mind until I got home and took a shower... but the pushing the bed across the room w/ the patient is classic.... lmao.

 
At 3/05/2008 10:53:00 PM, Blogger Madwag said...

oooooops... the above is my hubb's account... I forgot to sign into mine.

 
At 3/06/2008 12:51:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, either that or Laverne and Shirley.

Madwag, it is hard to think about anything else but the pee on my leg. I'm glad that it happened late in the shift.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home