web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A One Way Elevator

The elevator stopped at a floor. A man waiting for the elevator asked if it was going down. I said yes. Then he asked, "Will it come back up? " Again, I said yes, but perhaps I answered too quickly. Really, what are the possibilities here?

He didn't know it, but soon the elevator really will go down and never come back up again. We're getting ready to shut down the hospital. Moving boxes are piled along the walls and RN's are being pulled from the floor to help pack. I think it would be cheaper to have the movers pack and have the RN's take care of patients, but I'm not sure. But I am sure that this would be a safer place to be a patient if they got the nurses back on the floor where they belong. If we don't kill someone with our present staffing, it will be a miracle.

They have also stopped stocking our floor with supplies. The only thing we had for patients to vomit in were Styrofoam cups. We had to call all over the hospital to find a bedpan. I guess we will have to walk over to the new hospital to steal our supplies back. What a pain.


~ Home

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home