web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Siren Song

The bastards have been playing with our call light again. Management decided that we're not answering the call lights fast enough, so their solution was to make the call light louder and more piercing. Hiring more aides to help with the lights would help too, but they would rather have us just run to answer the lights.

The sound is particularly high-pitched with rapid dinging that hurts our ear drums and makes me want to scream in pain and frustration. Visitors to our floor all say the same thing, " What is that sound?" One doctor suggested that management just get a recording that says, "Lazy bastards, get over here."

What do you think that I did about the problem?

a) nothing

b) complained to anyone who would listen

c) muffled the alarm with bandages

d) used a screwdriver to disable the alarm

e) hit the alarm with a sledgehammer

f) sued the bastards


Here's a hint of how I solved the problem:

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>




You didn't really expect to see a sledgehammer did you?


~ Home

7 Comments:

At 9/04/2006 01:17:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you'll be written up for doing that :)

 
At 9/04/2006 10:20:00 AM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

If it hurts your ears, it's a health violation, isn't it? :) Sue the bastards! (Know any lawyers?)

I think you should refer to your place of work as "Dilbert Memorial Hospital"

 
At 9/04/2006 11:24:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds to me like it was screaming in pain and needed to be bandaged.

 
At 9/04/2006 01:05:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You used nursing ingenuity to solve an audible hazard to the psyche of all those in hearing range.

Tell the powers that be that you (1) assessed the situation (2) planned an intervention (3) carried out the intervention and (4) evaluated the effectiveness.

Nursing process in action!

 
At 9/04/2006 10:18:00 PM, Blogger Gary said...

Sometimes a girl has gotta do what a girl has gotta do. :)

 
At 9/04/2006 11:43:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Yaaaaaaaaay i was right, do i win a prize?!

 
At 9/05/2006 12:27:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

May, let them. :)

Dave, DMH, it does have a certain ring to it. It kind of sounds like it should stand for Department of Mental Mealth, though.

Connie, I'll use that as my excuse if anyone asks me about it.

Kim, here we do plan-do-check. It does fit. Management should congratulate me.

Gary, I gotta be me.

Michelle, you won the grand prize, a sloppy kiss from each of my dogs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home