web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Friday, March 23, 2007

Dilbert Logic

This was the subject of a Dilbert cartoon. The guy with the curled-up tie was denied his vacation request because he hadn't accrued enough vacation time yet. Management didn't care that he would have the vacation days earned by the time his vacation time came. I thought that cartoon was silly. Who knew that management really thinks like that?

One of my coworkers had this happen to her. We are required to make our vacation requests by the first week of March for the whole year. She wants to take her vacation at the end of the year, so she put in her request, calculating how many vacation days she will have by then. Her vacation request was denied because she doesn't have the vacation days earned yet. Is there a reason why idiots tend to be attracted into management?


~ Home

3 Comments:

At 3/23/2007 07:39:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

As an engineer who lives in a cubicle, I can totally relate to Dilbert. In trying to explain to my Dad what I do for a living, I told him to just keep reading the Dilbert comic strip. That seemed to work. Fortunately, my boss is not too pointy-haired.

 
At 3/23/2007 09:55:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, thats kind of strong medicine, don't you think?

Maybe you are a lot like me and just don't really like someone else excersizing too much power over you. Imparticularly when it doesn't make sense to us.

Oh and let the judge know we are available to come by after hours and sanitize the tables and chairs. I'll bring a fresh can of pledge for the ol' gavel and block ;-) I bet it could use a good sanitizing and polishing, don't you think?

 
At 3/24/2007 12:38:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Alan, before I got my job, I didn't understand Dilbert. Now, even though I'm not an engineer and don't work in a cubicle, it all makes sense to me now.

Anon, I'm OK with people giving me orders, they had just better make sense.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home