web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Comparative Disappointments

Today, I went to Costco and treated myself to a Very Berry Sundae. Normally this is frozen yogurt topped with marion berries. Today it was strawberries. Not that there is anything wrong with strawberries, but I like it better with marion berries. Since strawberries are cheaper, I guess Costco is trying to save a little money.

While I was sullenly eating my sundae at a picnic table under an umbrella inside the store, I couldn't help but overhear another customer having a cell phone conversation with her mother. She was excited that she has upgraded her Costco card. Instead of the usual $50 membership fee, she had paid $100. In exchange, she would get 20% of the value of her purchases back at the end of the year. She was figuring that she would save about $2,000 a year.

I was disappointed over my berries. That's nothing compared to the disappointment she's going to feel when she only gets a check back for 2% of her purchases. She didn't read the sign correctly.

I have a patient who also is disappointed. She's a young woman who every year has gotten regular pap smears. The last one was in July of this year and like all of the others, came back negative. The tests were all wrong and she actually had cervical cancer which has spread to the uterus. We don't know yet if it has spread any further.

I don't know if the problem was in the lab where the tests are read or if her doctor didn't take adequate specimens, but for that many tests to come back with false negatives is unusual. Cervical cancer develops slowly over years. A yearly pap smear will normally detect the disease before it turns cancerous. With early treatment, the disease is almost 100% curable. What a great lawsuit if her cancer has spread.

When you are disappointed by something, it's not hard to find other people who are worse off. Compared to cancer, the wrong kind of berries on my sundae doesn't seem like such a bad thing.


~ Home

8 Comments:

At 9/06/2006 12:34:00 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

Oh god how terribly sad for that woman. I hope she'll be ok.

Frozen strawberries...yummm :o)

 
At 9/06/2006 04:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good post with a lesson to be learned. :)

Sorry to hear about the patient. I can't imagine that many bad tests, either. I hope she will be ok.

 
At 9/06/2006 04:06:00 AM, Blogger Madwag said...

That happened to my mum but w/ breast cancer.... she almost lost her life because of a mistake.

Oh... check out my blog for a book I just read. If you read you will love this book.

xxx

 
At 9/06/2006 05:14:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

I'm betting the doctor did the test wrong. I have had tests done incorrectly on me more than once. Tests can be tricky and unless the doctor really knows what he is doing, he can mess them up. One time I even went to a medical book and while reading it realized my doctor was doing a test wrong, causing incorrest results. He finally did the test right and the correct results magically appeared. At least I had insurance, so the tests were free. Imagine how pissed I would have been if I had paid for them.

I hope you are having a nice week.

 
At 9/06/2006 10:40:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just heard about a type of breast cancer that is not detected by a mammogram, irritable breast cancer (IBS). It produces swolen breasts, but no tumor. And it spreads quicker than the regular type of breast cancer. Maybe some day they will come up with a test that will expose all types of cancer.

 
At 9/07/2006 12:46:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Michelle, frozen strawberries are okay, but nothing like marion berries.

Lisa, I hope that she is okay too and that we don't get sued.

Madwag, It never ceases to amaze me the kinds of mistakes that are made with people's lives.

Gary, it's a good thing that you researched the test. You can't be too careful.

Connie, that is scary. I wonder how it could possibly ever be detected early. If they ever cure cancer, Medicare and Social Security would collapse.

 
At 9/07/2006 03:35:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

Wasn't Marion Berry the mayor of Washington, DC? ;)

 
At 9/08/2006 12:45:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Ewww, is that what Costco was putting on its sundaes, Marion Berry? All this time I thought that it was a type of blackberry. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home