web site hit counter

Misadventurous Melissa

Everyday is an adventure, or misadventure as the case may be. It is the latter that makes for the best stories, inspiring the name of my blog. I'm a nurse and an attorney (and way too silly sometimes). I am retired now. WELCOME to my blog! This is a work of fiction inspired by true events. The patients I refer to are a patchwork quilt of various patient's problems mixed together. If you think you recognize someone, you are wrong. These people do not really exist.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

An Offer For My Services

I received the following e-mail:


"Hi,


I currently work at [*******] Insurance Services in the marketing team, and I am constantly looking at ways to divert traffic through to our websites.

I was wondering if you would be willing to have a text link to one of our sites from your blog page on the side menu. This would not require any images or banners, and would be just text.


Please let me know if this would be possible, as we would be willing to pay $40 for this.


Many thanks for your time,


Laura [******]

Marketing Assistant

[*********] Insurance"


So, what do you think? Does this sound legit?

Even if it is a real offer, I'm not going to accept. I wouldn't notice the $40 in my bank account, but I would notice an ad on my blog. It does seem strange, though, that someone is willing to give me money for blogging. It never occurred to me that it was even possible to make money doing this.


~ Home

9 Comments:

At 9/06/2006 02:46:00 PM, Blogger dkgoodman said...

It sounds tacky but legit, but it's hard to know for sure without doing research. They're probably more interested in improving their "Google Juice" (aka Page Rank) so they show up higher in search results than they are in actually getting your readers to click the link (hence their settling for a text link).

 
At 9/06/2006 05:06:00 PM, Blogger Alan said...

I agree with Dave's comments. I wouldn't do it myself. I want my blog to be all about me!

 
At 9/06/2006 07:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jane has been getting a few of those offers, but for a lot more money.

 
At 9/06/2006 10:50:00 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I would ask them to up the anti....$400!

 
At 9/07/2006 12:39:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Dave, that makes sense. I couldn't imagine how it would be worth it for an insurance company in England to advertise on my site.

Alan, I want my blog to just be about me also. If I'm going to clutter up my blog, I want some real money.

Lisa, hey that's not fair. Why does Jane get better offers than I do? No, don't answer that.

Michelle, that's not nearly enough. I want real money.

 
At 9/07/2006 05:08:00 AM, Blogger Gary said...

Essentially it is spam. I would never do business with anyone who spammed me. I just assume they are not legitimate. I do the same with all radio or TV commercials. If I want to business with a company, then I will find out about them through normal methods.

On the other hand, I would be curious to know what experiences people have had with this offer.

I hope you are having a nice week.

 
At 9/07/2006 06:28:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A legitimate company will pay you for the "space" on the blog, and it will be a lot more than $40.

 
At 9/07/2006 09:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Bible says: "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches." Which is preferable: great riches ($40 / $400 / ... ), or integrity? Stick with your instincts.

 
At 9/08/2006 12:52:00 AM, Blogger Melissa said...

Gary, it's my practice also to ignore offers coming over the Internet, except for making fun of them in my blog.

Kim, gee, I thought that the $40 was generous for space on my blog, considering that the odds would be nearly astronomical that someone would see the link on my blog and buy insurance from that company.

Paul, that is a nice quote and true, but unfortunately, I can be bought. I would add a link to my blog for a million dollars.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home